Saturday 29 December 2012

The start of my allotment journey...

Plot 376

When I received my allotment, I immediately started work as I was so excited. The picture below is a photo of another allotment, very much of what mine was like at the beginning.



I worked very hard to get my plot, which was like that but worse above, to what it is now.
The picture below is my Mum's plot 30 years on. Many memories I can recall, its nice being close to it.



Everything I used was recycled. The first job I was to do was to build a fence around the plot, to prevent people using my allotment as a car park and dumping ground! I then had to clear the allotment with petrol cutters and trimmers, etc and then I took all the green waste and general waste to the local recycling depot. This however was a big task in itself! The next big step was to make the raised beds using scaffold planks and when the beds were made, this then took me 26 tonnes of soil and approximately 3 tonnes of manure to fill them. After that, I got some Victorian doors from a friend. This made a lovely greenhouse, with herringbone stone block floor!
Finally after 4 weeks of hard work, became the growing season! I was straight to the garden centre to get onion and potato sets. Quite surprisingly, they grew, even with it being my first time!




Most of the other crops I also chose this season, was runner beans, cabbages, artichokes, salad like leaves and salad crops. I also have a lot of fruit, fruit trees and bushes, canes, etc...growing.
I spent the whole season at my allotment, not missing many days. I enjoyed keeping the woodland theme nice and weed free. This Winter, I've spent a lot of time organizing and preparing for the coming season ahead. The only thing I will miss, is the crackling log burner, which I recycled from an old gas bottle, keeping me warm in my shed. I have also met some wonderful people, who also share the same interests as myself! In particular, Rob, who is very helpful. I enjoy going round to his plot, drinking coffee and having a chat. For a young man, he knows a lot about gardening and growing crops. I think he teaches me sometimes!
I have also joined the Allotment Society Committee, which I am most pleased about.







Please take time in reading my upcoming entries!
Many thanks,
Carl

3 comments:

  1. Cracking blog that mate, just followed you so make sure you follow me back! Can't wait for the New Year, we will get stuck in mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate, with a lot of help from my lovely daughter Lolly and the good ideas from yourself, I am pleased to be doing this allotment diary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah ha -found it -what a div i am.x

    ReplyDelete